Monday, July 8, 2013

Quilt Education

How do we value something that is made by our own hands or the hands of others. Sometimes we say " I won't pay that much , I could make it myself , cheaper " .
Ah, the crux of the problem. How much ( $) value do we place on time spent creating.  $20 , $30 an hour , or should we be satisfied with the satisfaction of the accomplishment?
 ( Yes, I may be making up words but after all, Webster had to get his ideas someplace).

A very accomplished, artistic woman, Sam Hunter,  recently published 2 articles online about this subject. I have used her formula for deriving a worth for a few of my quilts. Over the years, I have sold quilts for what I knew were  low ball prices. Sam Hunter of Hunter Design Studio makes the argument for valuing the quilt for what it would truly cost to make , using current cloth prices , and the correct pay scale per hour of work.
Click to see Sam's Web Page 

 Random Wink 
This a quilt I made in " 2 weeks" . Of course I slept , ate etc. I wanted to enter a quilt show and that is how much time 'till deadline. I used the formula Sam has derived and came up with $450. For a 12''x12 '' quilt. Is anyone going to pay $450 , no 'cause I am not famous. Doesn't matter. That is an honest price for the amount of work I put into it. App. 20 hours , $150.00  at minimum wage. I have spent years honing my craft. Is $300 a week a living wage ? No. Let's go back to that 2 weeks I took to make the quilt. Let's say  I make $300 a week salaried. So , $600. I didn't get that price either. Ultimately, we each decide what will we do with all the quilts piling up around . I agree with Sam that no matter what amount we accept for a quilt , $450, $600 or $75 ,that price should include an education.

More on this subject to follow.






No comments:

Post a Comment